Scholarships for Research Postgraduate Students
Scholarships for Research Postgraduate Students
Financial Assistance

HKMU students taking research postgraduate programmes may apply for financial assistance offered by the University or Government.

Interest-free Tuition Installment Plan

Students who are the principal cardholders of any BOCHK UnionPay credit cards can apply for the “Interest-free Tuition Installment Plan” to pay their tuition fees. For details, please refer to the University website.

Government Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)

The ENLS provides financial assistance in the form of loan(s) for students to settle tuition fees and it is administered by the Student Finance Office (SFO) of the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA). Please visit the SFO website below for details or call 2150 6223 (during office hours) or 2802 2345 (24-hour hotline) for enquiry.

Postgraduate Studentships (PGS)

The University offers Postgraduate Studentships (PGS) to support full-time PhD or MPhil research students. PGS is offered through nomination by the School in which the students are/will be enrolled in. 

PGS nominations will be considered by the Research Degrees Committee in two rounds each year (in May and September). Applicants wishing to be considered for PGS should submit their admission applications by the end of April (for Autumn term admissions) and the end of August (for Spring term admissions). For admission application procedures, please refer to this page

PGS is offered on a yearly basis, candidates are assessed based on various factors including but not limited to academic ability and research strengths. Renewal of PGS is subject to satisfactory academic and research performance and the approval of the Research Degrees Committee. 

Other Scholarships & Awards

The President Yuk-Shan Wong Scholarship for Outstanding Research Postgraduate Students aims to award and recognise outstanding research degree students who have achieved very satisfactory progress or developed research proposal of special merit in the MPhil or PhD programmes. The awards are offered through nomination by the School in which the students are/will be enrolled.

The Katie Shu Sui Pui Charitable Trust – Academic Publication Fellowship [舒小佩慈善基金 — 學術出版奬學金] is dedicated to enhancing the research culture and academic status of the University by engaging research students of the University in staff’s projects. The Fellowship provides financial support to research students to support their studies. Recipients of the Fellowship are expected to conduct research work that contributes to the publication of quality refereed journal papers under the supervision of University staff, and the staff in return benefit from the contribution of the recipients to their research. Please visit the website of the Office of Research Affairs and Knowledge Transfer for more information.

The HKMU Conference Award for Research Students (CARS) provides financial support to PhD or MPhil students for attending conferences and presenting their research findings, so as to nurture their academic and professional development. The maximum amount of award is HK$20,000 for a PhD student, and HK$10,000 for an MPhil student throughout his/her period of study on the research degree programme. The application is open throughout the year and should first be endorsed by School Dean at least one month before the conference takes place.


Non-JUPAS (Local)

Mainland (NCEE)

Direct (Non-local)