Student Visa
Student Visa

I)  Introduction

Under the Immigration Ordinance, unless a person has the right of abode or right to land in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), he/she requires a valid visa/entry permit issued by the Immigration Department (IMMD) to study in Hong Kong.

Except those who have a visa/entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates or a dependent visa/entry permit that was issued they were 18 years old or above, non-local students (see definition below) who plan to enter Hong Kong for study are required to submit an application form for student visa/entry permit with all necessary documents from IMMD via the following team of Registry.

Undergraduate programmes
Admissions Team (Undergraduate)
Postgraduate programmes
Admissions Team (Postgraduate)

II) Definition of Non-local Students

According to the Education Bureau (EDB), non-local students are defined as students holding:

Student visa/entry permit
Visa/entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates
Dependent visa/entry permit (for students who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa/entry permit by the Director of Immigration)

III) Important Notes

If your status change from non-local student to local student, please update the University as soon as possible so that we can update your records in HKMU and adjust your tuition fees starting from next term (if applicable).


Non-JUPAS (Local)

Mainland (NCEE)

Direct (Non-local)